Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Great Grandma's Antique Venetian Crochet Collar




This Grape and Leaf motif collar was crocheted by my great grandmother, Ethyl Cole Sikes Mafies. This PDF has the pattern for a very similar Grape and Leaf collar to the one made by Grandma Ethyl. These collars were worn over an "everyday" dress for church on Sunday.


Grandma Ethyl is pictured with her sister and sister in law and is seated at the lower left. They are sporting these amazing Victorian era hats and dresses.

This website has an amazing collection of antique knitting, crochet and tatting patterns.

On the hook now ... I'm working to replicate this pattern for a cardi makeover. The original pattern calls for No. 40 crochet thread but I'm using #10. Though my stitches aren't as tiny as hers, I am excited about the way it's turning out.

7 comments:

  1. The collar is beautiful! I'll look forward to seeing how yours turns out!
    ~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Annie! I am amazed at how TINY the stitches are on this. I'm sure it took a long winter for her to complete this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is so beautiful! And I think it's a really great project that you've taken on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing! What an amazing project. Something like that would make an amazing necklace I would totally wear! now you've got my brain moving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Marti, this is amazing! Just gorgeous. (Literally gasped when I saw it!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful !!! I like the photo too !!! And thank you sooo much for the link !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! This collar is so beautiful!! :)
    Crochet...Gotta Love It!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for adding your thoughts this post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...